So recently I was talking with a good friend who wanted to "argue about truth".... at first I thought he was kidding, but no. He was serious.
I like to argue, but I know we are not supposed to dwell on things that do not matter.... and this topic could go south pretty quick.So my first reaction was to ask Why he wanted to argue this.... did he just want to argue... was he seeking attention.... did he even care what other people thought.... and or was he honestly seeking an answer...? All of these questions needed to be dealt with before I ever said a word to him.
I was reminded of the passage in 2 Corinthians 10: 2-5
"I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world. For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
Instead of arguing I suggested we discuss our views of truth... and the group agreed. It all began by asking a series of questions......
- What is truth?
- Is truth relative?
- Is there a gray area?
- Why?
A few people gave some short answers, but then the group collectively decided look it up. So according to the dictionary, truth is....
–noun, plural truths
1.
| the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
|
2.
| conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
|
3.
| a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
|
4.
| the state or character of being true.
|
5.
| actuality or actual existence.
|
6.
| an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
|
7.
| honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
|
8.
| ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
|
9.
| agreement with a standard or original.
|
10.
| accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
|
11.
| Archaic. fidelity or constancy
|
With this definition even more questions arose.....
- Are 'truth' and 'true' the same?
- What are the similarities/differences of 'truth' and 'true'
- What does this mean? Why does this matter?
My take on this whole situation is that I believe truth is not relative and is provable. If truth could not be known or discovered then it does not exist....but rather truth does exist because it is true that you are reading this, is it not. I also believe there are partial truths.... not necessarily a gray area, because that makes truth relevant and it is not.... relevance defies truth. Truth is still truth even if you choose to deny it.
For example, the color of your eyes or the color of your hair..... it is what it is even if you try to cover it up or deny it. Another example of this would be someone who chooses not to believe in gravity. If he decided gravity was not true and jumped off a building he would still fall.... gravity would happen, whether he believed it or not.
Honestly none of this really mattered to me aside from the spiritual aspect. From a spiritual view... everyone is going to die. Everyone is going to stand before God and be judged. And everyone will spend eternity in Heaven or Hell..... there is no middle ground, its one or the other and there are no second chances after you die. You only live one life, and this one life is your only chance to choose what you will do and where you will spend eternity. Yes, thats right, you get to choose where you spend eternity....
John 3:16-21
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."
So yes truth matters..... and 'truth' and 'true' are different. Be careful to remember to hold every thought captive and know the truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment